BJP, Cong blame AAP after SC criticism on pollution


National | Written by : IANS| Updated:


BJP, Cong blame AAP after SC criticism on pollution

New Delhi, Nov 25 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Congress hit out at the Delhi's AAP government here on Tuesday after the Supreme Court's stinging criticism that Delhi is like "hell".

"The Arvind Kejriwal government has spent money only on advertisements -- the Rs 400 crore thus spent could have been used for electric buses," the BJP said and demanded recovery of the money spent on ads from the AAP government.

The Supreme Court's harsh remark could have direct impact on the political slanging match in the national capital where elections are due in a few months.

"The AAP is playing with lives of citizens. A BJP government in Delhi would facilitate clean air to Delhiites in the next three-and-a-half years," said Delhi BJP chief Manoj Tiwari.

The Congress, trying to regain the political ground, said only it could tackle the problem of pollution. "During the 15-year rule of the Congress, led by late Sheila Dikshit, the capital switched to cleaner energy sources, like CNG, and massive plantation drives were conducted," said party spokesperson Sandeep Dikshit.

Earlier during the day, an apex court Bench, comprising Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Deepak Gupta, queried Delhi Chief Secretary Vijay Dev, "Are you serious about water and air pollution...you have just 55 per cent capacity to handle waste, what about the remaining 45 per cent."

When the Chief Secretary blamed dual power centre, Justice Mishra retorted, "Don't blame others, and think you can get scot free. You are liable to compensate the people. How much money is coming to clean the Yamuna and where is it going...What is the status of water in Delhi? We are taking suo moto cognisance of people's right to get pure drinking water".

The top court observed life was not cheap in India anymore. What was given (compensation) in the Bhopal gas tragedy was nothing compared with what's given to victims in similar cases worldwide, it said.

"What is the value of life? People are suffering from bronchial asthma. Do you know how many cancer patients are in Delhi?" observed the court and asked the Delhi government, "Can you monetise the reduction in life span?"